Smartstone Care and Maintenance Guide
A Smartstone surface offers superior durability and practicality. Because Smartstone surfaces are manufactured from natural materials, each slab is unique and will contain variations in shading, reflectivity and the distribution and appearance of quartz. These variations are naturally occurring characteristics of the material. The appearance of each slab will also vary depending on lighting conditions, placement and viewing angle.
The cleaning and care requirements for your benchtop are outlined below.
Care & Maintenance
To keep your benchtop in as new condition here are some cleaning and maintenance tips.
Smartstone has been tested by the CSIRO, and due to its low moisture absorption, is resistant to stains caused by wine, fruit juices, liquid food colouring, tea and spices with strong colours.
Damaged Benchtop Edges Or Surfaces
A damaged benchtop edge or surface (including the stone edge for an under-mount sink) is not indicative of defective material.
The Smartstone 15-year Limited Warranty does not cover edge or surface damage, such as chipping or scratching caused by wear and tear or negligence.
Stubborn Stains and Dried Spills
For dried spills, remove solids first. A wet cotton cloth is recommended for any stubborn stains. Avoid forceful scrubbing as this may result in a loss of shine.Rinse well with water.
Do not use bleach on or near a Smartstone surface.
Smartstone is intended for interior applications only. Smartstone should not be used outdoors. The Smartstone Limited Warranty does not cover exterior applications, where Smartstone is exposed to weather conditions. Exposure to direct sunlight may result in a colour change and it is therefore recommended that exposure to direct sunlight is limited.
Placing hot items directly onto your Smartstone benchtop is not recommended. Although Smartstone has high heat resistance, excessive localised heat may result in damage to your Smartstone due to thermal shock.
Cleaning your benchtop following installation
Your Smartstone benchtop material is covered by a plastic film to protect the surface during transportation. This film may leave a residue on your benchtop which can absorb liquids, making your benchtop appear to be stained. It is important to give your benchtop a thorough clean with a nonabrasive cream cleanser mixed with warm soapy water. Gently wipe over the entire surface with your cleanser and then remove with a non-scratch cloth. Remove all cleaning product and to finish wipe down with a clean, dry cloth to restore the original shine. Never excessively scrub your benchtop as this can cause dulling of the surface.
- To keep your Smartstone clean, simply wipe with a soft cloth and a pH neutral household liquid detergent.
- Avoid exposure to products with high pH levels such as oven cleaner. If Smartstone comes into contact with such products, rinse immediately to neutralise the effect, and then follow usual cleaning procedure.
- Avoid exposure to paint strippers, paint removers, bleach and nail polish remover. Rinse immediately with clean water to neutralise the effect, and then follow usual cleaning procedure.
- Avoid exposure to high impact, especially on the edges.
- Avoid excessive weight being placed on the benchtop, such as tradespeople standing on the benchtop when carrying out other work in your home such as painting or electrical work.
Smartstone offers a 15-year Limited Warranty that can be completed online at www.smartstone.com.au. Please fill out your Warranty within 28 days of your installation, which will guarantee you the highest level of support should an issue arise with your Smartstone surface.